Document Type : Case Report
Department of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Medicine, Quran and Hadith Research Center; Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: Suicide is a major challenge to public health worldwide, and self-inflicted burn is one of the most violent suicide methods.
Case Presentation: In this case, a self-inflicted hot oil burn in a male with schizotypal personality and major depressive disorder is reported.
Conclusion: Psychiatric disorders, marital problems, and economic poverty are mentioned as risk factors for self-inflicted burn. Thus, these risk factors should be considered in the management of self-inflicted burn patients.
- Safiri KH, Rezaeinasab Z. Qualitative study of the phenomenon of self-immolation in Ilam. Journal of Woman and Society. 2017;7(25):123-141. [Persian].
- Zarghami M, Khalilian AR. Psychiatric and physical disorders in suicide attempted by self-burning in Mazandaran province. Hakim Research Journal. 2003;5(4):263-270. [Persian].
- Rezaeian M. A Narrative Review on Epidemiology of Self- Immolation. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. 2016;15(6):563-574. [Persian].
- Saadati M, Azami-Aghdash S, Heydari M, Derakhshani N, Rezapour R. Self-immolation in Iran: systematic review and meta-analysis. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2019;7(1):1-8. doi:10.29252/beat-070101.
- Yasemi MR, Yasemi M, Roghani A, Yaghoubi M, Zamani N, Sayehmiri K. Burning Percentage Evaluation of Cases With Suicide Attempt by Self-Burning in The Ilam Province Between 1372-1385. Journal of Ilam University of Medical Sciences. 2013;21(3):53-63. [Persian].
- Jalali-Nadoushan A, Alavi K, Najarzadegan MR, Mehrabani P. History of mental health services use in self-immolation suicide attempters referred to motahari burn center, Tehran, Iran. Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 2016;34(374):203-213. [Persian].
- Rezaeinasab Z, Sheikhi MT, Jamilei Kohaneh Shahri F. Self-immolation of women in Ilam city, Iran: a descriptive study. Journal of School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research. 2018;15(4):365-376. [Persian].
- Atwell K, Bartley C, Cairns B, Charles A. Incidence of self-inflicted burn injury in patients with Major Psychiatric Illness. Burns. 2019;45(3):615-620. doi:10.1016/j.burns.2018.10.008.
- Chabi F. Women self-immolation. Woman & Culture. 2013;5(16):95-102. [Persian].
- Laloë V. Patterns of deliberate self-burning in various parts of the world. A review. Burns. 2004;30(3):207-215. doi:10.1016/j. burns.2003.10.018.
- Poeschla B, Combs H, Livingstone S, Romm S, Klein MB. Self-immolation: socioeconomic, cultural and psychiatric patterns. Burns. 2011;37(6):1049-1057. doi:10.1016/j.burns.2011.02.011.
- Malic CC, Karoo RO, Austin O, Phipps A. Burns inflicted by self or by others--an 11 year snapshot. Burns. 2007;33(1):92-97. doi:10.1016/j.burns.2006.04.008.
- Dobson H, Lee S, Breadon C, Cleland H, Moncur D, Kulkarni J. How self-inflicted injury and gender impacted the outcome following a severe burn. Burns. 2019;45(3):621-626. doi:10.1016/j.burns.2018.10.021.
- Danesh HA, Javanbakht S, Nourallahzadeh M, et al. Epidemiology and mortality of burn injuries in Eastern Iran since 2009: an analysis of 2115 cases. Int J High Risk Behav Addict. 2019;8(1):e66232. doi:10.5812/ijhrba.66232.
- Nazeer N, Tharayil HM, Vidyadharan V. A Comparative study of impulsivity, lethality and intent among patients attempting suicide by self-immolation and poisoning. Kerala Journal of Psychiatry. 2019;32(1):1-7. doi:10.30834/KJP.32.1.2019.165.