Document Type : Original Article
Student Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Medicine Faculty, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Health Management Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: A patient's satisfaction with nursing service is one of the main indices for measuring the quality and effectiveness of health care.
Objective: The purpose of this study was to investigate and compare patients' satisfaction with the nursing service provided in selected training hospitals in Tehran.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted in 2013 using Patient's Satisfaction Standard questionnaire (PSI) in 7 selected training hospitals in Tehran. In this study, 336 patients discharged from 4 major units of each hospital namely internal, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology and pediatrics, were selected and studied randomly. Data were analyzed using the SPSS18 software.
Results: The results of this study showed that the pediatric unit recorded maximum patients’ satisfaction with nursing care with a mean and SD of 3.78±0.68, while the surgery unit recorded minimum satisfaction with a mean and SD of 3.35±0.65. Also, a significant difference was observed between patients' satisfaction with nursing service in major units such as internal, surgery, obstetrics and pediatrics (P=0.015).
Conclusion: However, significant differences were found in terms of degree of satisfaction with nursing service between the major units of the hospitals. These differences may be due to the characteristics of providing care, unit, patient or family. Therefore, future research should be conducted in order to identify the cause of the difference in satisfaction between the different hospital units.
- Chen Y, Liu J, Xiao S, Liu X, Tang X, Zhou Y. Model construction of nursing service satisfaction in hospitalized tumor patients. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2014;7(10):3621-9.
- Montori VM, Tweedy DA, Vogelsang DA, Schryver PG, Naessens JM, Smith SA. Performance of the provider satisfaction inventory to measure provider satisfaction with diabetes care. Endocr Pract. 2002;8(3):191-8. [DOI]
- Hatchett R, McLaren S, Corrigan P, Filer L. An evaluation of a specialist nursing service for adult patients with congenital heart disease. Int J Nurs Pract. 2015;21(5):556-65. [DOI]
- Al-Momani MM. Gap Analysis between Perceptions and Expectations of Medical-Surgical Patients in a Public Hospital in Saudi Arabia. Med Princ Pract. 2016;25(1):79-84. [DOI]
- Rahmqvist M. Patient satisfaction in relation to age, health status and other background factors: a model for comparisons of care units. Int J Qual Health Care. 2001;13(5):385-90. [DOI]
- Zaboli R, Zarandi MRS, Ayoubian A. A comparison of service quality in teaching and non-teaching hospitals: the Gap Analysis. Int J Travel Med Glob Health. 2015;3(1):37-41.
- Ayoubian A, Dopeykar N, Mehdizadeh P, Hoseinpourfard M, Izadi M. Surveying the Quality of Care Services in a Military Health Center According to the SERVQUAL Model. J Mil Med. 2015;16(4):225-9.
- Pines JM, Iyer S, Disbot M, Hollander JE, Shofer FS, Datner EM. The effect of emergency department crowding on patient satisfaction for admitted patients. Acad Emerg Med. 2008;15(9):825-31. [DOI]
- Mitchell PH, Ferketich S, Jennings BM. Quality health outcomes model. J Nurs Scholarsh. 1998;30(1):43-6. [DOI]
- Johansson P, Oleni M, Fridlund B. Patient satisfaction with nursing care in the context of health care: a literature study. Scand J Caring Sci. 2002;16(4):337-44. [DOI]
- Tafreshi MZ, Pazargadi M, Abed Saeedi Z. Nurses' perspectives on quality of nursing care: a qualitative study in Iran. Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2007;20(4):320-8. [DOI]
- Hajinezhad M, Rafii F, Jafarjalal E, Haghani H. Relationship between nurse caring behaviors from patients’ perspectives & their satisfaction. Iran J Nurs. 2007;20(49):73-83.
- Merkouris A, Papathanassoglou ED, Lemonidou C. Evaluation of patient satisfaction with nursing care: quantitative or qualitative approach? Int J Nurs Stud. 2004;41(4):355-67. [DOI]
- Joolaee S, Givari A, Taavoni S, Bahrani N, R R. Patients’ satisfaction with provided nursing care. Int J Nurs Res. 2008;2(7):37-44.
- Peyrovi H, Bahadori A, Ashghali-Farahani M, Haghani H. Comparison of in-patients' satisfaction with different domains of nursing care. Q J Nurs Manag. 2013;2(1):59-66.
- Liu Y, Wang G. Inpatient satisfaction with nursing care and factors influencing satisfaction in a teaching hospital in China. J Nurs Care Qual. 2007;22(3):266-71. [DOI]
- Seidi M, Hydary A, Karami SR. Medical and nursing services and patients' satisfaction level. Iran J Nurs. 2005;17(40):55-61.
- Azami A, Akbarzadeh K. the survey of patient satisfaction of the services provided in hospitals of Ilam city. J Ilam Univ of Med Sci. 2004;12(44-45):10-6. Persian
- Mogharab M, Mahmoudi Rad G. Patient satisfaction about training skills of nurses in surgical and internal wards of Imam Reza Hospital of Birjand. J Birjand Univ Med Sci. 2004;9(1):9-15. Persian
- Shahri G, Rahnama S. Patient satisfaction hospitalized in the city of Sabzevar. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci. 2002;10(1):1-10. Persian
- Joolaee S, Hajibabaee F, Jafar Jalal E, Bahrani N. Assessment of patient satisfaction from nursing care in hospitals of Iran University of Medical Sciences. Hayat. 2011;17(1):35-44. Persian
- Walsh M, Walsh A. Measuring patient satisfaction with nursing care: experience of using the Newcastle Satisfaction with Nursing Scale. J Adv Nurs. 1999;29(2):307-15. [DOI]