Document Type: Case Report
Student Research Committee, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran
Student Research Committee, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Research Center of Addiction and Behavioral Sciences, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Introduction: Diarrhea is one of the most common symptoms treated in general practice and gastroenterology. An estimated 1.7 billion cases of diarrhea are reported annually. Anxious and emotional persons are more sensitive to digestive problems. Anxious persons may feel their heartbeat and perceive their intestinal motility and spasm, and this may cause them more concern. Case Presentation: In this case report, a 31-year-old woman with chronic diarrhea and a stressed psyche is presented so as to emphasize the combination of organ disorders and psychiatric moods. Conclusion: Patients suffering from chronic and persistence gastrointestinal disease should be evaluated by a psychiatrist. Psychotherapy and psych pharmacotherapy can greatly help the treatment of somatic complaints of these patients.
- Mandaliya R, Auerbach H, Mehta P. A Challenging Cause of Chronic Diarrhea. Gastroenterology. 2015;148(1):28-9. [DOI]
- Aranda-Michel J, Giannella RA. Acute diarrhea: a practical review. Am J Med. 1999;106(6):670-6. [DOI]
- Abdullah M, Firmansyah MA. Clinical approach and management of chronic diarrhea. Acta Med Indones. 2013;45(2):157-65.
- Lee KS, Kang DS, Yu J, Chang YP, Park WS. How to do in persistent diarrhea of children?: concepts and treatments of chronic diarrhea. Pediat Gastroenterol Hepatol Nutr. 2012;15(4):229-36. [DOI]
- Valenzuela RS. [Chronic diarrhea]. Rev Gastroenterol Mex. 2006;71 Suppl 1:83-5.
- Csef H, Bornhauser N. Psychosomatic aspects of chronic diarrhea. MMW Fortschr Med. 2003;145(50):35.
- Hammond DC. Hypnosis in the treatment of anxiety-and stress-related disorders. Expert Rev Neurother. 2010;10(2):263-73. [DOI]
- Spiller R, Aziz Q, Creed F, Emmanuel A, Houghton L, Hungin P, et al. Guidelines on the irritable bowel syndrome: mechanisms and practical management. Gut. 2007;56(12):1770-98. [DOI]
- Kamrowska A, Kasprzak K, Marciniak J, Goch A, Kamrowski C. [Anxiety and depression in ulcerative colitis and Lesniovsky-Crohn's disease]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2010;28(165):239-41.
- Bannaga AS, Selinger CP. Inflammatory bowel disease and anxiety: links, risks, and challenges faced. Clin Exp Gastroenterol. 2015;8:111-7. [DOI]