Document Type: Original Article
Allameh Tabataba’i University, Tehran, IR Iran
Health Management Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, IR Iran
Background: Optimal allocation of resources commensurate with performance improvement is the concerns of all countries including Iran. Estimation hospitals production function is important in the economic management of hospitals.
Objective: The aim of this study was to estimate the production function of Iranian selected public hospitals as well as analyze the economic behavior in use of hospital resources.
Methods: The study was conducted by using the input data of 67 Iranian selected public hospitals at 2013. In this study, expected production level of hospitals and marginal productivity of inputs were calculated by regression estimation of Cobb-Douglas production function.
Results: The results showed that a 10% increase in net working hours of specialized human resources in public hospitals would cause 8.8% increase in average production level of inpatient services. Moreover, 10% increase of active beds would cause 1.1% increase in average production level of inpatient services in the studied hospitals. Also, the production levels in 40% of hospitals were lower than the average expected production level and did not have full performance.
Conclusion: With the proper utilization of human resources and beds, production level in a significant number of hospitals can be improved.
- Ameryoun A, Meskarpour-Amiri M, Dezfuli-Nejad ML, Khoddami-Vishteh H, Tofighi S. The assessment of inequality on geographical distribution of Non-cardiac intensive care beds in Iran. Iran J Public Health. 2011;40(2):25.
- Meskarpour-Amiri M, Mehdizadeh P, Barouni M, Dopeykar N, Ramezanian M. Assessment the trend of inequality in the distribution of intensive care beds in Iran: using GINI index. Glob J Health Sci. 2014;6(6):28. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v6n6p28
- Meskarpour-Amiri M, Arani AA, Sadeghi H, Agheli-Kohnehshahri L. Socioeconomic Factors Affecting Informal Payments in the Health Sector. Transylvanian Rev Adm Sci. 2016;12(47):116-28.
- Ahmadi AM, Assari-Arani A, Meskarpour-Amiri M. Inequality of health spending and public health outcome in countries of the WHO’s Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office (EMRO). Int J Travel Med Glob Health. 2015;3(4):137-41.
- Amerioun A, Sh T, Mahdavi S, Mamaghani H, Meskarpour Amiri M. Assessment of International Joint Commission (IJC) accreditation standard in a military hospital laboratory. J Mil Med. 2011;13(2):75-80.
- Mahboobi AP, Meskarpour AM, Pakdaman M. Estimation of production function in hospitals of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences (1996-2008). J Qazvin Univ Med Sci. 2013;17(3):34-41.
- Rapoport J, Teres D, Zhao Y, Lemeshow S. Length of stay data as a guide to hospital economic performance for ICU patients. Med Care. 2003;41(3):386-97. doi: 10.1097/01.MLR.0000053021.93198.96
- Newhouse JP. Toward a theory of nonprofit institutions: An economic model of a hospital. Am Econ Rev. 1970;60(1):64-74.
- Hellinger FJ. Specification of a hospital production function. Appl Econ. 1975;7(3):149-60. doi: 10.1080/00036847500000016
- Rezapour A, Khalaj M. The economic behavior of general hospitals of Iran University of Medical Sciences from 1997 to 2004. Shahrekord Univ Med Sci J. 2006;8(3):11-6.
- Rezapour A, Asefzadeh S. Estimating cost-function at hospitals of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences (2001-2005). J Qazvin Univ Med Sci. 2008;11(4):77-82.
- Ghaderi H, Goudarzi R, Gohari M. Determine the technical efficiency Hospital University of Medical Sciences, using two analysis comprehensive data. J Health Manag. 2005;9(26):31-8.
- Sajadi H, Karami M, Torkzadeh L, Karimi S, Bidram R. Efficiency estimation in general hospitals of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences during 2005-2006 by data envelopment analysis. J Health Admin. 2009;12(36):39-46.
- Afzali HHA, Moss JR, Mahmood MA. A conceptual framework for selecting the most appropriate variables for measuring hospital efficiency with a focus on Iranian public hospitals. Health Serv Manag Res. 2009;22(2):81-91. doi: 10.1258/hsmr.2008.008020
- Azar A. Evaluation of hospital efficiency by data envelopment analysis: Tehran University of Medical Sciences: 2009-2011. J Health Admin. 2013;16(53):36-46.