Document Type: Original Article
Health Economics Department, Health Management Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Research Center for Prevention of Oral and Dental Diseases, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Support Deputy of Islamic Republic of Iran’s Medical Council, Tehran, IR Iran
Health Management Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Background: Outsourcing in healthcare is a cost-effective strategy that reduces costs and increases service quality. Managers must attempt to outsource healthcare services using scientific methods.
Objective: This study is a strategic analysis of the outsourcing of health services in one specialty and subspecialty hospital in Tehran.
Methods: This mixed method study (quantitative-qualitative) was performed in 2014 at one of the biggest specialty hospitals in Tehran. Data was collected through interviews, focus discussion groups (FDG), and the internal and external factors evaluation matrix. The study population comprised managers and directors of the hospital. Data was analyzed using Excel 2010 software and SWOT analysis.
Results: The final scores for internal and external factors were 2.16 and 2.68, respectively, indicating the hospital had a conservative strategic position for choosing outsourcing strategies.
Conclusion: Since this hospital had a conservative strategic position in outsourcing, managers were able to change their outsourcing strategy while considering its advantages and disadvantages and determining the type of services to be outsourced.
- Organization WH. The world health report 2000: health systems: improving performance: World Health Organization; 2000.
- Thomas R. Health Services Marketing .Springer sciences. Tsuang Ming-Sion. A Marketing process-planning model for sinlau Christian hospital, Tainan, Taiwan. South Carolina: Univercity of South Carolina; 2008.
- Purreza A. The role of contractual arrangements in improving health sector performance; experience from countries of the Eastern Mediterranean Region: 2010. Tehran: Ministry of Health and Medical Education; 2010. p. 89.
- Sakharkar B. Principles of hospital administration and planning: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2009. doi: 10.5005/jp/books/10677
- Rogowski J, Jain AK, Escarce JJ. Hospital competition, managed care, and mortality after hospitalization for medical conditions in California. Health Serv Res. 2007;42(2):682-705. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2006.00631.x
- Kessler D, McClellan M. The effects of hospital ownership on medical productivity. Rand J Econ. 2002;33(3):488-506. doi: 10.2307/3087469
- Garner R. SWOT tactics: basics for Strategic Planning FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin 2005 [19 November 2015]. Available from: Http://findarticles.com/p/articles/Mi
- Li B, He M, Cao J. [The SWOT analysis and strategic considerations for the present medical devices' procurement]. Zhongguo Yi Liao Qi Xie Za Zhi. 2006;30(3):206-8.
- Karimi S, Agharahimi Z, Yaghoubi M. Impacts of outsourcing in educational hospitals in Iran: A study on Isfahan University of Medical Sciences-2010. J Educ Health Promot. 2012;1:25. doi: 10.4103/2277-9531.99959
- Albreht T. Privatization processes in health care in Europe—a move in the right direction, a ‘trendy’option, or a step back? Eur J Public Health. 2009;19(5):448-50. doi: 10.1093/eurpub/ckp146
- Altman DJ, Gunderman RB. Outsourcing: a primer for radiologists. J Am Coll Radiol. 2008;5(8):893-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2008.03.005
- Liu X, Hotchkiss DR, Bose S. The effectiveness of contracting-out primary health care services in developing countries: a review of the evidence. Health Policy Plan. 2008;23(1):1-13. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czm042
- Fredland JE. Outsourcing military force: A transactions cost perspective on the role of military companies. Defence Peace Econ. 2004;15(3):205-19. doi: 10.1080/10242690310001623410
- Lock L. Is Military Outsourcing Out of Control? DTIC Document, 2006.
- Bellenghi GM, Coffey B, Fournier JE, McDavid JP. Release of information are hospitals taking a hit? Attempts by state legislatures to reduce fees for release-of-information requests could make it unprofitable for outsourcing companies to provide this service, potentially leaving hospitals to bear the expense. Healthc Financ Manage. 2008;62(11):118-22.
- Siddiqi S, Masud TI, Sabri B. Contracting but not without caution: experience with outsourcing of health services in countries of the Eastern Mediterranean Region. Bull World Health Organ. 2006;84(11):867-75.
- van Wijngaarden JD, Scholten GR, van Wijk KP. Strategic analysis for health care organizations: the suitability of the SWOT‐analysis. Int J Health Plann Manage. 2012;27(1):34-49. doi: 10.1002/hpm.1032
- Yüksel İ, Dagdeviren M. Using the analytic network process (ANP) in a SWOT analysis–A case study for a textile firm. Inform Sci. 2007;177(16):3364-82. doi: 10.1016/j.ins.2007.01.001
- Adams J. Successful strategic planning: creating clarity. J Healthc Inf Manag. 2005;19(3):25.
- Bart CK, Hupfer M. Mission statements in Canadian hospitals. J Health Organ Manag. 2004;18(2):92-110. doi: 10.1108/14777260410538889
- Singh SP, Chauhan MK, Singh P. Using multicriteria futuristic fuzzy decision hierarchy in SWOT analysis: an application in tourism industry. Int J Operat Res Inf Sys. 2015;6(4):38-56. doi: 10.4018/IJORIS.2015100103
- Yaghoubi M, Agha Rahimi Z, Javadi M. Strategic analysis and hospital's strategic position in marketing planning: a case study of a private hospital in the Isfahan. Health Inf Manage 2014;10(7):996.
- Ferdosi M, Farahabadi M, Rejalian F, Haghighat P. Outsourcing of medical record unit services: case assessment Isfahans kashani hospital. Health Inform Manag. 2010;7:658-68.
- Moschuris SJ, Kondylis MN. Outsourcing in public hospitals: a Greek perspective. J Health Organ Manag. 2006;20(1):4-14. doi: 10.1108/14777260610656534
- Wiley A, Coe C. ASHP guidelines on outsourcing pharmaceutical services. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 1998;55(15):1611-7.
- Ayoubian A, Tourani S, Dehaghi ZH. Medical tourism attraction of Tehran hospitals. Int J Travel Med Glob Health. 2014;1(2):95-8.
- Tabibi SJ, Nasiripour AA, Ayubian A, Mahmoodabadi HB. The relation between information mechanisms and medical tourist attraction in Hospitals of Tehran, Iran. Director General. 2012;9(3).
- Izadi M, Ayoobian A, Nasiri T, Joneidi N, Fazel M, Hosseinpourfard M. Situation of health tourism in Iran opportunity or threat. J Mil Med. 2012;14(2):69-75.
- Sahney S, Banwet D, Karunes S. An integrated framework for quality in education: Application of quality function deployment, interpretive structural modelling and path analysis. Total Qual Manag Bus Excel. 2006;17(2):265-85. doi: 10.1080/14783360500450376
- Zaboli R, Zarandi MRS, Ayoubian A. A comparison of service quality in teaching and non-teaching hospitals: the gap analysis. Int J Travel Med Glob Health. 2015;3(1):37-41. doi: 10.20286/ijtmgh-030137
- Ayoubian A, Dopeykar N, Mehdizadeh P, Hoseinpourfard M, Izadi M. Surveying the Quality of care services in a military health center according to the SERVQUAL model. J Mil Med. 2015;16(4):225-9.
- Mayson B, Fleshner N, So A. Physician opinion of the privatization of health care services in Canada: a survey of Canadian urologists by the Canadian Urological Association Socioeconomic Committee. Can Urol Assoc J. 2009;3(3):193-7.
- Ansary M, Rahimi A, Yarmohamadian M, Yaghobbi M. SWOT analysis in school of management and medical information science, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. J Health Admin. 2009;12(36):33-8.
- Khodaverdi R ZB, E. The advantages, risks and challenges of outsourcing strategy. Roshd-e-Fanavari J. 2011(25):65-71.
- Young S. Outsourcing in the Australian health sector: the interplay of economics and politics. Int J Public Sect Manag. 2005;18(1):25-36. doi: 10.1108/09513550510576134
- Hsiao C-T, Pai J-Y, Chiu H. The study on the outsourcing of Taiwan's hospitals: a questionnaire survey research. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9(1):1. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-9-78
- Vining AR, Globerman S. Contracting-out health care services: a conceptual framework. Health Policy. 1999;46(2):77-96. doi: 10.1016/S0168-8510(98)00056-6