Document Type : Original Article
Department of Health Services Management, School of Public Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background: Although all jobs can be stressful, occupational stress is an important issue in jobs that deal with human health. Evidence indicates that nursing is a stressful occupation.
Objective: This research evaluated factors affecting occupational stress and strategies for coping with it.
Methods: This cross-sectional descriptive-analytic study was conducted in 2015. The study population comprised all nurses at Shahid Rajaee hospital, from whom 190 nurses were selected by random sampling. Data was collected by questionnaire and analyzed using SPSS software (version 19), Pearson correlation coefficient tests, Mann-Whitney tests, and t tests.
Results: Occupational stress was rated as moderate among the studied nurses. Significant positive correlations were found between occupational stress level and less effective coping method, occupational stress level and work experience level, and ineffective coping methods and age. Moreover, a significant difference was seen between men and women in terms of emotion-focused coping.
Conclusion: According to the research findings, occupational stress was at a moderate level among the studied hospital nurses, indicating that the authorities need to focus on efforts to reduce occupational stress for nurses.
- Hazavehei MM, Hosseini Z, Moeini B, Moghimbeigi A, Hamidi Y. Assessing stress level and stress management among Hamadan hospital nurses based on PRECEDE model. Ofogh-e- Danesh. 2012;18(2):78-85. [Persian].
- Yoon HS, Lee KM, Kang D. Intercorrelation between Immunological Biomarkers and Job Stress Indicators among Female Nurses: A 9-Month Longitudinal Study. Front Public Health. 2014;2:157. doi:10.3389/fpubh.2014.00157.
- Barzide M, Choobineh A, Tabatabaie SH. Aspects of job stress and its relation to stouts of the nurses public health. Journal of Occupational Medicine Specialist. 2012;4(3):2-17. [Persian].
- Rezaei SH, Hosseini MA, Falahi M. Effect of communication skills teaching in job stress level among nurses occupying in rehabilitation center. Tehran Univ Med J. 2006;64(1):21-26.
- Bahrami A, Akbari H, Mousavi SGA, Hannani M, Ramezani Y. Job stress among the nursing staff of Kashan hospitals. Feyz. 2011;15(4):366-373. [Persian].
- Nurani Saedidin SH, Hadizadeh Talasaz Z, Shakeri MT, Modares Gharavi M. Study of relationship job stress with happiness in Mashhad hospital and health care centers midwives in 2013. Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Obstetrics. 16(74):1-9. [Persian].
- Salarian MH, Sadr F. Process of the health sector reforms on productivity and motivation of human resources. Workshop Management Articles; 2007. [Persian].
- Zeighami Mohammadi SH, Asgharzadeh Haghighi S. Study of relationship between job stress and burnout in nurses. Scientific Journal of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences. 2011;19(2):42-49. [Persian].
- Hebrani P, Behdani F, Mobtaker M. Study of stress in nurses. Evaluation of Stress Factors in Nurses of Different Hospital Wards. The Quarterly Journal of Fundamentals of Mental Health. 2008;10(3):231-237.
- Darvishpoor Kakhki A, Ebrahim H, Alavi Majd H. health status of nurses of hospitals dependent to Shahroud Medical University. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2009;22(60):19-27.
- Khanian S. Study of relationship between job stress and time management among managers of Shiraz health care centers [dissertation]. Shiraz: School of Management and Medical Information, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences; 2007. [Persian].
- Carver CS, Scheir MR, Weintraub JK. Assessing coping strategies: a theoretically based approach. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1989;56(2):267-83. doi:10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1687.
- Ebrahimi A, Bolhari J, Zolfaghari F. Stress coping strategies and social support in depressive veterans with spinal cord injury. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry & Clinical Psychology. 2002;8(2):40-48. [Persian].
- Aghilinejad M, Attarchi MS, Golabadi M, Chehregosha H. Comparing stress level of woman nurses of different units of Iran university hospitals in autumn 2009. Ann Mil Health Sci Res. 2010;8(1):44-48.
- Mardani Hamooleh M, Ebrahimi E, Mostaghasi M, Taghavi Larijani T. Relationship between organizational justice and job stress among hospital personnel. J Med Ethics Hist Med. 2013;6(3):64-71.
- Donyavi V, Koohian K, Soleiman Meigooni S, Akbari M. Survey of occupational stress scale on nurses in a military hospital in Tehran – 2012. Journal of Nurses and Physician Within War. 2012;19,20:9-13. [Persian].
- Asad Zandi M, Sayari R, Ebadi A, Sanainasab H. Abundance of depression, anxiety and stress in militant Nurses. J Mil Med. 2011;13(2):103-108.
- Kabirzadeh A, Mohseni Saravi B, Asghari Z, Bagherian Farahabadi E, Bagerzadeh Ladari R. Rate of General Health, Job Stress and Factors in Medical Records Workers. Health Inf Manag. 2007;4(2):215-222.
- Peiman Pak F, Mansur L, Sadeghi M, Purebraham T. The Relationship of Job Stress with Marital Satisfaction and Mental Health in Nurses of Tehran Hospitals. Quarterly Journal of Career & Organizational Counseling. 2013;4(13):27-54. [Persian].
- Torshizi L, Ahmadi F. Job Stressors from Clinical Nurses’ Perspective. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2011;24(70):49-60.
- Rahimian Boogar E, Nouri A, Oreizy H, Molavi H, Foroughi Mobarake A. Relationship between Adult Attachment Styles with Job Satisfaction and Job Stress in Nurses. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2007;13(2):148-157. [Persian].
- Hashemizadeh H. Analysis of relation between time management behaviors and occupational stress of medical surgical ward’s Head Nurses of educational hospitals depend on shaheed beheshti medical university. The Quarterly Journal of Fundamentals of Mental Health. 2006;8(29-30):51-56. [Persian].