Document Type: Case Report
Department of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Introduction: It is well known that the tendency toward thrombosis is increased in cancer patients. The increase in cancer procoagulant and tissue factor levels, endothelial damage, and stasis due to compression are among the most accused causes of thrombosis in cancer patients. Hypereosinophilia is a rare condition that causes endothelial damage leading to thrombosis.
Case Presentation: We present a 64-year-old male patient with cardiac involvement of hypereosinophilia which developed in the T-cell lymphoma ground resulting in a fatal cardioembolic stroke. Despite normal left ventricular (LV) contractions, almost half of the ventricular volume was full of thrombus in this case.
Conclusion: Hypereosinophilia is a rare cause of thrombus formation in the left ventricle in patients with preserved ejection fraction. However, hypereosinophilic cardiac involvement can lead to rapid, progressive, life-threatening complications.
- Alzand BS, Ilhan M. Thrombus in a normal left ventricle. Neth Heart J. 2008;16(1):24-25. doi:10.1007/BF03086113.
- Gotlib J. World Health Organization-defined eosinophilic disorders: 2014 update on diagnosis, risk stratification, and management. Am J Hematol 2014;89(3):325-337. doi:10.1002/ajh.23664.
- Ogbogu PU, Rosing DR, Horne MK 3rd. Cardiovascular manifestations of hypereosinophilic syndromes. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2007;27(3):457-475. doi:10.1016/j.iac.2007.07.001.
- Schooley RT, Flaum MA, Gralnick HRA, et. al. A clinicopathologic correlation of the idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. II. Clinical manifestations. Blood. 1981;58(5):1021–1026.
- Weller PF, Bubley GJ. The idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Blood. 1994;83(10):2759-2779.
- Roufosse FE, Goldman M, Cogan E. Hypereosinophilic syndromes. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2007;2:37. doi:10.1186/1750-1172-2-37.
- Shah R, Ananthasubramaniam K. Evaluation of cardiac involvement in hypereosinophilic syndrome: complementary roles of transthoracic, transesophageal, and contrast echocardiography. Echocardiography. 2006;23(8):689-691. doi:10.1111/j.1540-8175.2006.00288.x.
- Ebrahimifar P, Shahabi J. Right ventricular thrombosis as a manifestation of Behçet’s syndrome. ARYA Atheroscler. 2017;13(2):91-94.
- Eren NK, Emren SV, Duygu H, et.al. Left ventricular thrombus formation in a patient with normal ejection fraction. Arch Turk Soc Cardiol. 2013;41:625-628. doi:10.5543/tkda.2013.71598.
- Lee CH, Chen CC, Chern MS. Thrombolytic therapy for acute left atrial thrombus formation in one patient with heart failure and atrial fibrillation. Circ J. 2007;71(4):604-607. doi:10.1253/circj.71.604.