Document Type: Original Article
Department of Diseases and Transplantation, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Department of Internal Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Department of IT Management, School of Management, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Background: Chronic kidney disease is a health problem in today’s world and hemodialysis is an alternative method for patients with chronic renal failure. Preparing provincial and national information on the situation of patients can play a significant role in improving the quality of services provided to patients undergoing hemodialysis.
Objective: This study aimed to investigate the characteristics of patients on dialysis in hemodialysis centers in Isfahan and some other centers (up to 30 km distant).
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted on 1,024 patients on dialysis in 13 dialysis centers in the early part of 2013. Studied variables were collected using a researcher-made questionnaire with Cronbach's alpha coefficient of 0.86. Data was analyzed using descriptive statistics and Chi-square test by SPSS version 22 software.
Results: The results of 1024 patients undergoing hemodialysis includes the following: 60% (610 people) were male with a mean age of 54±17.67 years, and 92% (867 patients) had a private house. The family history of hemodialysis was positive in 24% (229 patients). In this study, 38% of patients (365 patients) were illiterate and the most common cause of kidney disease was diabetes in 42% (436) of the patients. Vascular access was venous-arterial fistula in 52% (519 people) with a mean hemodialysis of 52 months. Chronic renal failure was estimated at 300 per one million inhabitants in Isfahan Province (based on the last census in 2011 with the population estimated at 4,815,863 persons).
Conclusion: Majority of the studied population variables was somewhat similar to the studies conducted in other provinces; the only major difference was the most common cause of chronic renal failure leading to dialysis.
- Bash LD, Erlinger TP, Coresh J, Marsh-Manzi J, Folsom AR, Astor BC. Inflammation, hemostasis, and the risk of kidney function decline in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009;53(4):596-605. [DOI]
- Bond M, Pitt M, Akoh J, Moxham T, Hoyle M, Anderson R. The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of methods of storing donated kidneys from deceased donors: a systematic review and economic model. Health Technol Assess. 2009;13(38):iii-iv, xi-xiv, 1-156.
- Kallel S, Triki Z, Abdenadher M, Frikha I, Jemel A, Karoui A. [Acute renal failure after cardiac surgery: evaluation of the RIFLE criteria]. Nephrol Ther. 2013;9(2):108-14. [DOI]
- Udani SM, Koyner JL. Effect of blood pressure lowering on markers of kidney disease progression. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2009;11(5):368-74. [DOI]
- Bolignano D, Palmer SC, Navaneethan SD, Strippoli GF. Aldosterone antagonists for preventing the progression of chronic kidney disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;4:CD007004. [DOI]
- Shahbazian H, Shahbazian H, Feghhi M, Ehsanpour A. A study on the effect of dual blockade of rennin and angiotensin systems in control of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetic patients. Sci Med J Ahvaz Univ Med Sci. 2008;7(1):85-91. Persian
- Organization WH. Preventing chronic diseases: a vital investment: WHO global report. 2005.
- Levey AS, Coresh J. Chronic kidney disease. Lancet. 2012;379(9811):165-80. [DOI]
- Fox CS, Larson MG, Vasan RS, Guo CY, Parise H, Levy D, et al. Cross-sectional association of kidney function with valvular and annular calcification: the Framingham heart study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17(2):521-7. [DOI]
- McClellan W, Warnock DG, McClure L, Campbell RC, Newsome BB, Howard V, et al. Racial differences in the prevalence of chronic kidney disease among participants in the Reasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke (REGARDS) Cohort Study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17(6):1710-5. [DOI]
- Zhang Q-L, Rothenbacher D. Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in population-based studies: systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2008;8(1):117. [DOI]
- Safarinejad MR. The epidemiology of adult chronic kidney disease in a population-based study in Iran: prevalence and associated risk factors. J Nephrol. 2009;22(1):99-108.
- El Nahas AM, Bello AK. Chronic kidney disease: the global challenge. Lancet. 2005;365(9456):331-40. [DOI]
- Collins AJ, Foley RN, Chavers B, Gilbertson D, Herzog C, Ishani A, et al. US Renal Data System 2013 Annual Data Report. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014;63(1 Suppl):A7. [DOI]
- Nafar M, Mousavi SM, Mahdavi-Mazdeh M, Pour-Reza-Gholi F, Firoozan A, Einollahi B, et al. Burden of chronic kidney disease in Iran: a screening program is of essential need. Iran J Kidney Dis. 2008;2(4):183-92.
- Mogharab M, Hedayati H, Najafi R, Safari M, Amiri S, Adhami S. Prevalence of depression and life events in hemodialysis patients in Vali-Asr hospital in Birjand (2010). Mod Care J. 2011;8(3):125-34.
- Shariati A, Asayesh H, Nasiri H, Tajbakhsh R, Hesam M, Mollaee E, et al. Comparison of dialysis adequacy in patient's that referred to Golestan province hemodialysis centers. J Health Promot Manag. 2012;1(3):55-63.
- Nazemian F, Gafari F, Fotokian Z, Porgaznain T. Stressors and coping strategies with stress in hemodialysis patients. Med J Mashhad Univ Med Sci. 2006;49(93):93-8. Persian
- Garshad A, Hashemi M. Assissing the adequacy of dialysis and some biochemical factors related to it in patient under hemodialysis in dialysis ward of Emam-Ali hospital of Bojnourd. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci. 2012;4(4):671. Persian
- Hadian-Jazi Z, Aliasgharpour M. Evaluating the effects of designed exercise program on mean of activity tolerance in hemodialysis patients. J Sharekord Univ Med Sci. 2012;1391(14):5. Persian
- Hassani P, Otaghi M. Roy adaptation model in hemodialysis patients: a mixed method research. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Faculty. 2012;10(5):610-20. Persian
- Malekmakan L, Sayadi M, Pakfetrat M. Assessment of pruritus status and its relation to dialysis adequacy and laboratory factors among hemodialysis patients. J Jahrom Univ Med Sci. 2013;11(1):55-49. Persian
- Baraz-Pardenjani S, Mohammadi E, Boroumand B. The effect of self–care teaching by video tape on physical problems and quality of life in dialysis patients. Iran J Nurs. 2008;21(54):121-33.
- Oshvandi K, Kavyannejad R, Borzuo R, Gholyaf M, Salavati M. Dialysis adequacy with high flux membrane in hemodialysis patients at Shahid Beheshti hospital, Hamadan. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Faculty. 2012;10(4):540-8.