Document Type: Original Article
School of Management and Medical Information, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Obstetrics/Gynecology Department, Federal Medical Centre, Birnin Kudu, Jigawa State, Nigeria
Department of Public Administration and Health Services Management, Business School, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana
Background: The quantity and quality of manpower, especially in health systems, are major factors affecting speed of service delivery, cost, and accuracy, or, in other words, the quality of service.
Objective: This study purposed to investigate the manpower required in various units of the laboratory at Shiraz Faghihi Hospital.
Methods: This is a cross-sectional and descriptive-analytical research conducted on all testing processes in the fields of parasitology, hormone biology, microbiology, and urinalysis performed at the studied hospital. The Westinghouse ergometer and timing method was used to estimate manpower requirements, and SPSS18 software was used to analyze data.
Results: The average standard time of every duty cycle in parasitology units, hormone biology, microbiology, and urinalysis are 12, 5, 9, and 5 minutes, respectively. The numbers of human resources required in said units were estimated to be 2.6, 3, 4, and 3.7 respectively. In parasitology unit there is lack of 1 manpower. In hormone unit there are two manpower surpluses. In biology unit there is one manpower surplus and urinalysis unit is estimated to be proportional to the number of troops.
Conclusion: It is suggested that new, scientific tools be used to evaluate the status of department staff and make improvements to avoid the high costs and difficulties that manpower shortages and surpluses cause for the organization.
- Ozcan S, Hornby P. Determining hospital workforce requirements: a case study. Hum Resour Dev J. 1999;3(3).
- Michael A. A handbook of human resource management practice. Cambridge University Press, London. 2006.
- Birch S, Kephart G, Murphy GT, O'Brien-Pallas L, Alder R, MacKenzie A. Health Human Resources Planning and the Production of Health: Development of an Extended Analytical Framework for Needs‐Based Health Human Resources Planning. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2009;15(6):S56-S61. [DOI]
- Melgar T, Schubiner H, Burack R, Aranha A, Musial J. A time-motion study of the activities of attending physicians in an internal medicine and internal medicine-pediatrics resident continuity clinic. Acad Med. 2000;75(11):1138-43. [DOI]
- Hatam N, Moslehi Sh, Askarian M, Shokrpour N, Keshtkaran A, Abbasi M. The Efficiency of General Public Hospitals in Fars Province, Southern Iran. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2010;2010(2):138-44.
- Lin CF, Kao CC. [Clinical nursing manpower: development and future prospects]. Hu Li Za Zhi. 2014;61(2):13-9.
- Arab M, Tajvar M, Akbari F. Selection an appropriate leadership style to direct hospital manpower. Iran J Public Health. 2006;35(3):64-9.
- Powers SK, Beadle RE, Mangum M. Exercise efficiency during arm ergometry: effects of speed and work rate. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol. 1984;56(2):495-9.
- Hanft RS. Health manpower. Health care delivery in the United States: Springer Publishing Co New York; 1977. p. 67-91.
- Dickerson C, Green T, Blass E. Workforce development and effective evaluation of projects. Br J Nurs. 2014;23(12):685-90. [DOI]
- Brown MM, Brown GC, Sharma S, Hollands H, Smith AF. Physician manpower and health care expenditures in the United States: a thirty-year perspective. J Health Care Finance. 2001;27(4):55-64.
- Khani M, Askari L, Ganje-Khani M, Salman-Mohajer N. Study of services staff ergometer and division of work stable in Zanjan Valiasr hospital and and provide new strategies for deployment of forces. First National Conference on Hospital Resource Management; Tehran, 2002. Persian
- Akbari F, Kokabi F. Determining nursing manpower needed in a sample hospital. Hosp J. 2011;9(3):69-76. Persian
- Cleary BL, Rice R. Nursing workforce development: Strategic state initiatives: Springer Publishing Company; 2005.
- Asadi L. Estimate requirement staff for blood biochemistry and hematology laboratory at the Department of Abadeh Health Center and Hospitals using work study. Tehran: Shiraz University of Medical Science; 2009. Persian
- Brezmes M, Ochoa C, Eiros J. Cost analysis in a clinical microbiology laboratory. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2002;21(8):582-8. [DOI]
- Akbari S. Comparing cost efficiency Faghihi hospital in 2001. Tehran: Shiraz University of Medical Sciences; 2001. Persian
- Arab M. Estimation of requirement staff number at Children's Medical Center. Tehran: Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2010. Persian
- Mohammadi K, Moradi S, Mahmoudi A, Arjouni S, Sohrabi M. Study the Distribution of Manpower of Hospitals Affiliated to Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences in Accordance with Personnel Standards of the Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Acad J Res Econ Manag. 2015;3(2):53-63.
- Bagherian H, Tadayon H. Quantitative optimization of Ayatollah Kashani hospital emergency department nursing using linear programming. Sixth National Conference on Student Health Care Management; Tehran, 2009. Persian
- Ugwa E. A cross-sectional study of job satisfaction and leadership styles among the nurses in Aminu Kano teaching hospital. Niger J Basic Clinl Sci. 2014;11(2):114.
- Ugwa E, Muhammad LM, Ugwa CC. Job satisfaction among nurses and doctors in a Tertiary Hospital in North-Western Nigeria: a cross- sectional study. Int J Hosp Res. 2014;3(1):11-8.