Document Type: Mini Review
Rheumatology Research Center, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Applied Biotechnology Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, IR Iran
Department of Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Baqiyatallah Hospital Research Development Committee, and Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, IR Iran
Department of Health Services Management, Islamic Azad University, Tehran North Branch, Tehran, IR Iran
Accessibility to all levels of information technology has experienced rapid progress in recent years, particularly in the health sector. Rapid penetration into this technology has led to changes in lifestyles and changes in the working procedures of institutions. In 2014, the number of Internet users reached 3 billion, and this number is predicted to exceed 8 billion in 2018. Statistics estimate the number of Iranian users of the Internet to be about 45 million. In 2014, more than 80% of Internet users searched for health information. Today, the Internet plays a vital role in providing such health services as education, disease management, support, basic medical treatment decisions, and doctor-patient communication.
- Ball MJ, Lillis J. E-health: transforming the physician/patient relationship. Int J Med Inform. 2001;61(1):1-10. [DOI]
- Number of internet users worldwide from 2005 to 2015 (in millions) USA: Statista; 2015 [2016 May 31]. Available from: http://www.statista.com/statistics/273018/number-of-internet-users-worldwide/.
- Maheu M, Whitten P, Allen A. E-Health, Telehealth, and Telemedicine: a guide to startup and success: John Wiley & Sons; 2002.
- Ulieru M, Hadzic M, Chang E. Soft computing agents for e-Health in application to the research and control of unknown diseases. Inf Sci. 2006;176(9):1190-214. [DOI]
- Bergenti F, Poggi A, Tomaiuolo M. Multi-Agent Systems for E-Health and Telemedicine. 2016.
- Turino GM. The future of the doctor-patient relationship. Bull N Y Acad Med. 1986;62(10):1014.
- Nazi KM, Hogan TP, Woods SS, Simon SR, Ralston JD. Consumer Health Informatics: Engaging and Empowering Patients and Families. Clinical Informatics Study Guide: Springer; 2016. p. 459-500.
- Prajapati B, Buchanan WJ, Smales A, Macfarlane R, Spyra G. Review of e-Health Frameworks. 2015.
- Todd WE, Nash DB. Disease management: a systems approach to improving patient outcomes: American Hospital Pub.; 1997.
- Darkins A, Ryan P, Kobb R, Foster L, Edmonson E, Wakefield B, et al. Care Coordination/Home Telehealth: the systematic implementation of health informatics, home telehealth, and disease management to support the care of veteran patients with chronic conditions. Telemed J E Health. 2008;14(10):1118-26. [DOI]
- DesRoches CM, Campbell EG, Rao SR, Donelan K, Ferris TG, Jha A, et al. Electronic health records in ambulatory care—a national survey of physicians. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(1):50-60. [DOI]
- Jha AK, DesRoches CM, Campbell EG, Donelan K, Rao SR, Ferris TG, et al. Use of electronic health records in US hospitals. N Engl J Med. 2009;360(16):1628-38. [DOI]
- Shachak A, Reis S. The impact of electronic medical records on patient–doctor communication during consultation: a narrative literature review. J Eval Clin Pract. 2009;15(4):641-9. [DOI]
- Neuhauser L, Kreps GL. Rethinking communication in the e-health era. J Health Psychol. 2003;8(1):7-23. [DOI]
- Harrison JP, Lee A. The role of e-health in the changing health care environment. Nurs Econ. 2006;24(6):283.
- Bliemel M, Hassanein K. E-health: applying business process reengineering principles to healthcare in Canada. Int J Elec Bus. 2004;2(6):625-43. [DOI]
- Safran C, Bloomrosen M, Hammond WE, Labkoff S, Markel-Fox S, Tang PC, et al. Toward a national framework for the secondary use of health data: an American Medical Informatics Association White Paper. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14(1):1-9. [DOI]
- Faramarz M, Sarparast A. The role of information technology (IT) training on health. The First National Conference on Social Determinants of Student Health; Tehran: Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2009. Persian
- Aminpour F. Medical informatics: concepts and applications. Iran J Med Edu. 2004.
- Medical Online Clinic. Tehran, 2015 [2016 May 31]. Persian. Available from: http://www.omedclinic.com/