Document Type: Original Article
Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Faculty of Nursing, Islamic Azad University, Iranshahr Branch, Iranshahr, Iran
Faculty of Medical Sciences, Zahedan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Zahedan, Iran
Background: One third of the world’s population is infected with TB, and the disease is known as the second deadly global infection, even more severe than measles. The disease kills about 2 million people a year. Approximately 8 million people in the world are affected by advanced tuberculosis (TB).
Objective: The current study aimed to determine the frequency of resistance to the antibiotics isoniazid and rifampin in positive culture pulmonary TB patients in Zahedan city during 2013-2016.
Methods: This descriptive cross-sectional study studied 100 samples from patients who referred to Boo-Ali hospital of Zahedan city from 2014 to 2016. First, the isoniazid solution was prepared, and then the rifampin solution was prepared. After that, 200 μL of mycobacterium suspension was added to the antibiotic and antibiotic-free control.
Results: Of 100 patients participating in the study, 50 (50%) were male and 50 (50%) were female. Participants had an average age of 51.69 ± 20.41 years (95-12 years), 79 (79%) were Iranians and 21 (21%) were Afghans. Of the 100 samples, 55 (55%) were from the year 2013, 21 (21%) were from 2014, 10 (10%) were from 2015, and 14 (14%) were from year 2016. The samples examined showed that 4 (4%) were resistant and 96% were sensitive.
Conclusion: The results of the current study showed that out of 100 samples, 4 cases (4%) had resistance and 96% were sensitive; 2% were resistant to isoniazid, and 2% were resistant to isoniazid and rifampin.
- Andreu J, Caceres J, Pallisa E, Martinez-Rodriguez M. Radiological manifestations of pulmonary tuberculosis. Eur J Radiol. 2004;51(2):139-149. doi:10.1016/j.ejrad.2004.03.009.
- Sharifi MR, Forat Yazdi M, Amooghadiri M, Heidari H, Shaker M, Zeinolabedin M. Study of Diseases Associated ESR above 100 among the Patients who Visited Shahid Sadoughi Hospital in the Second half of 2013. Intern Med Med Investig J. 2006;1(1):5-9. doi:10.24200/imminv.v1i1.12.
- Kim WS, Choi JI, Cheon JE, Kim IO, Yeon KM, Lee HJ. Pulmonary tuberculosis in infants: radiographic and CT findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol . 2006;187:1024-33.
- Buckner CB, Leithiser RE, Walker CW, Allison JW. The changing epidemiology of tuberculosis and other mycobacterial infections in the United States: implications for the radiologist. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1991;156(2):255-264. doi:10.2214/ajr.156.2.1898796.
- FitzGerald JM, Grzybowski S, Allen EA. The impact of human immunodeficiency virus infection on tuberculosis and its control. Chest. 1991;100(1):191-200. doi:10.1378/chest.100.1.191.
- Cremin BJ. Tuberculosis: the resurgence of our most lethal infectious disease--a review. Pediatr Radiol. 1995;25(8):620- 626. doi:10.1007/BF02011832.
- Abbasi F, Yousefi S, Afshar Yavari S. Minimum inhibitory concentration of ciprofloxacin against Pseudomonas aeruginosa in the presence of the efflux inhibitor phenylalanine-arginine beta-naphthylamide. Intern Med Med Investig J. 2018;3(4):23- 27. doi:10.24200/imminv.v2i4.128.
- Gangadharam PRJ. Drug resistance in tuberculosis. In: Reichman LB, Hershfield ES, eds. Tuberculosis: A Comprehensive International Approach. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1993:293-328.
- Moghtadery R, Moaddab R, Rafi AN. Resistance of atypical Mycobacterium as pulmonary infections agents to the first and second line of anti tuberculosis drugs. Iranian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine. 2012;17(58):59-63.
- Fasih N, Rafiq Y, Jabeen K, Hasan R. High isoniazid resistance rates in rifampicin susceptible Mycobacterium tuberculosis pulmonary isolates from Pakistan. PLoS One. 2012;7(11):e50551. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0050551.
- Tavanai Sani A, Ghazvini K, Salehi M, Shakiba A. Investigating the Resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to anti-TB drugs and its effective factors in the samples referred to Shariati Hospital of Mashhad. Journal of Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences. 2015;57(8):898-903. [Persian].
- Farazi A, Jabbariasl M, Sofian M. Assessment of drug resistance in tuberculosis patients and the factors affecting it (2005-2010). Arak Medical University Journal. 2012;15(60):77-85.
- Das D, Satapathy P, Murmu B. First Line Anti-TB Drug Resistance in an Urban Area of Odisha, India. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016;10(11):Dc04-dc06. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2016/20289.8846.
- Roshdi Maleki M, Moaddab SR. Drug susceptibility pattern of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains to first and second line drugs in Tabriz, Iran. Iran J Med Microbiol. 2009;3(1):18-24.
- Pourhajibagher M, Nasrollahi M, Musavi S, Rahimi-Esboei B, Ghorbani Pashakolaei A. Drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates to isoniazid and rifampin. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences. 2012;14(3):66-72.
- Tayeboon MA, Sadrnia M, Mohajerani H. Simultaneous detection of TB and drug resistance to Isoniazid in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates using PCR-RFLP method. Iran South Med J. 2015;18(3):547-555.