Document Type : Systematic Review
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Skull Base Research Center, Loghman Hakim Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Student Research Center, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: Quality of life (QOL) is a powerful phrase that reflects maintaining health and well-being in different societies and cultures, reflecting the positive and negative aspects of people’s lives. Patients with liver cirrhosis (LC) have an undesirable QOL, and this has become one of the most important causes of mortality in the world.
Objective: This review article aimed to summarize the results of previous studies on health-related QOL in patients with LC to determine their problems and needs.
Methods: This review was conducted using Cochran’s seven-step model. This paper is the result of research on QOL in patients with LC through searches conducted in Google Scholar, PubMed, and Science Direct using the keywords liver cirrhosis, chronic liver disease, quality of life, health-related quality of life, and self-care for articles published between 2012-2018. Ultimately, 11 articles were obtained and analyzed.
Results: The results of this review showed that the QOL in patients with LC is poor and is lower than in other populations. Many factors, such as age, gender, and education, influence QOL and should be addressed in order to solve the challenges and problems faced by these patients. Increasing awareness and education are the most important issues for LC patients.
Conclusion: QOL in patients with LC is affected by many factors. The lack of awareness about the disease and its complications is considered the biggest problem for these patients. To improve the QOL and care of these patients, nursing care guidelines, awareness raising, and education about the disease and its complications, treatment, and new treatments are needed.
- Kim HJ, Chu H, Lee S. Factors influencing on health-related quality of life in South Korean with chronic liver disease. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2018;16(1):142. doi:10.1186/s12955-018-0964-1.
- Taha SH, Mohamed WY, Sayed Bukhary FA, Teleb SM, Gamal LM. Impact of a Designed Nursing Intervention Protocol on quality of life for liver cirrhosis patients in Minia University Hospital. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science. 2015;4(4):7-15.
- Hansen L, Leo MC, Chang MF, Zaman A, Naugler W, Schwartz J. Symptom distress in patients with end-stage liver disease toward the end of life. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2015;38(3):201- 210. doi:10.1097/SGA.0000000000000108.
- Saeedi E, Nasiri Toosi M, Salehi M, Khosravi Bizhaem S, Abolghasemi J. Effective factors for risk of death in patients with cirrhosis using competing risks model. Govaresh. 2016;21(1):27-34. [Persian].
- Loria A, Escheik C, Gerber NL, Younossi ZM. Quality of life in cirrhosis. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2013;15(1):301. doi:10.1007/s11894-012-0301-5.
- Aghdassi AA, Schneider A, Kahl M, et al. Analysis of lifestyle factors in patients with concomitant chronic pancreatitis and liver cirrhosis. Pancreatology. 2017;17(5):698-705. doi:10.1016/j.pan.2017.07.194.
- Fagerström C, Frisman GH. Living with liver cirrhosis: a vulnerable life. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2017;40(1):38-46. doi:10.1097/SGA.0000000000000158.
- Nishikawa H, Osaki Y. Liver cirrhosis: evaluation, nutritional status, and prognosis. Mediators Inflamm. 2015;2015:872152. doi:10.1155/2015/872152.
- Sheikhian MR, Meysami Bonab S, Ahadi M, Talebi M, Maasoomi E. Relationship between behavioral disorders and quality of life in patients with liver cirrhosis. Govaresh. 2014;19(1):20-25. [Persian].
- Gao F, Gao R, Li G, Shang ZM, Hao JY. Health-related quality of life and survival in Chinese patients with chronic liver disease. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2013;11:131. doi:10.1186/1477-7525-11-131.
- Souza NP, Villar LM, Garbin AJ, Rovida TA, Garbin CA. Assessment of health-related quality of life and related factors in patients with chronic liver disease. Braz J Infect Dis. 2015;19(6):590-595. doi:10.1016/j.bjid.2015.08.003.
- Volk ML, Kanwal F. Quality of Care in the Cirrhotic Patient. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2016;7:e166. doi:10.1038/ctg.2016.25.
- Abdi F, Daryani NE, Khorvash F, Yousefi Z. Experiences of individuals with liver cirrhosis: a qualitative study. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2015;38(4):252-257. doi:10.1097/SGA.0000000000000122.
- Low JTS, Rohde G, Pittordou K, et al. Supportive and palliative care in people with cirrhosis: international systematic review of the perspective of patients, family members and health professionals. J Hepatol. 2018;69(6):1260-1273. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2018.08.028.
- Nouh MAE, Badawy AM, Mohamed HM, Elkashash SA. Study of the impact of liver cirrhosis on health-related quality of Life in chronic hepatic patients. Afro Egyptian Journal of Infectious and Endemic Diseases. 2015;5(3):177-82. doi:10.21608/aeji.2015.17827.
- Šumskienė J, Kupčinskas L, Šumskas L. Health-related quality of life measurement in chronic liver disease patients. Medicina (Kaunas). 2015;51(4):201-208. doi:10.1016/j.medici.2015.06.006.
- Keramat F, Mamani M, Torabian S, Aliparast Dostkohi M. Assessment and Comparison of Health-Related Quality of Life in Chronic Hepatitis B and C Patients with Healthy Persons in Hamadan Province. Avicenna Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2013;20(2):151-159. [Persian].
- Thiele M, Askgaard G, Timm HB, Hamberg O, Gluud LL. Predictors of health-related quality of life in outpatients with cirrhosis: results from a prospective cohort. Hepat Res Treat. 2013;2013:479639. doi:10.1155/2013/479639.
- Wang Q, Wang Y, Gao J, Han JT, Li Y-P. Development of a self-management behaviour scale for liver cirrhosis. Int J Nurs Sci. 2015;2(1):73-79. doi:10.1016/j.ijnss.2014.10.015.
- Hadi N, Montazeri A, Behboodi E. Assessment of health related quality of life in chronic liver disease patients. Payesh. 2010;9(2):165-72. [Persian].
- Nardelli S, Pentassuglio I, Pasquale C, et al. Depression, anxiety and alexithymia symptoms are major determinants of health related quality of life (HRQoL) in cirrhotic patients. Metab Brain Dis. 2013;28(2):239-243. doi:10.1007/s11011-012-9364-0.
- Tsai LH, Lin CM, Chiang SC, Chen CL, Lan SJ, See LC. Symptoms and distress among patients with liver cirrhosis but without hepatocellular carcinoma in Taiwan. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2014;37(1):49-59. doi:10.1097/SGA.0000000000000020.