Document Type : Case Report
1 Research Center of Addiction and Behavioral Sciences, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
2 Diabetes Research Center, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
3 Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
4 Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
5 Medical Research Committee, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Introduction: Delusion of pregnancy is a bizarre delusion in which one feels s/he is carrying a fetus. The etiology is unknown, but aloneness, masturbation, and stress may precipitate this disorder.
Case Presentation: We introduce a young, single man who has delusions of pregnancy. This type of delusion is not a well-known disorder; based on investigated articles, this type of somatic delusion is rare.
Conclusion: This was a chronic case, the exact cause and development of which was unknown. We suggest this phenomenon as a novel symptom. No similar case was found in the literature.
- Manjunatha N, Saddichha S. Delusion of pregnancy associated with antipsychotic induced metabolic syndrome. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2009;10(4 Pt 2):669-670. doi:10.1080/15622970802505800.
- Chaturvedi SK. Delusions of pregnancy in men. Case report and review of the literature. Br J Psychiatry. 1989;154:716-718. doi:10.1192/bjp.154.5.716.
- Shah JN, Qureshi SU, Jawaid A, Schulz PE. Is there evidence for late cognitive decline in chronic schizophrenia? Psychiatr Q. 2012;83(2):127-144. doi:10.1007/s11126-011-9189-8.
- Bitton G, Thibaut F, Lefevre-Lesage I. Delusions of pregnancy in a man. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148(6):811-812. doi:10.1176/ajp.148.6.811.
- Radhakrishnan R, Satheeshkumar G, Chaturvedi SK. Recurrent delusions of pregnancy in a male. Psychopathology. 1999;32(1):1-4. doi:10.1159/000029059.
- Chengappa KNR SS, Brar JS, Keshavan MS. Delusion of pregnancy in men. Br J Psychiatry. 1989;155:422-23. doi:10.1192/bjp.155.3.422b.
- Tarin JJ, Hermenegildo C, Garcia-Perez MA, Cano A. Endocrinology and physiology of pseudocyesis. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2013;11(1):39. doi:10.1186/1477-7827-11-39.
- American Psychiatric Association. 5th ed. Washington: 2013.
- Dutta S, Vankar GK. Delusions of pregnancy - a report of four cases. Indian J Psychiatry. 1996;38(4):254-256.
- Michael A, Joseph A, Pallen A. Delusions of pregnancy. Br J Psychiatry. 1994;164(2):244-246. doi:10.1192/bjp.164.2.244.