Document Type : Case Report
Research Center of Addiction and Behavioral Sciences, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Diabetes Research Center, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Medical Research Committee, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Introduction: Delusion of pregnancy is a bizarre delusion in which one feels s/he is carrying a fetus. The etiology is unknown, but aloneness, masturbation, and stress may precipitate this disorder.
Case Presentation: We introduce a young, single man who has delusions of pregnancy. This type of delusion is not a well-known disorder; based on investigated articles, this type of somatic delusion is rare.
Conclusion: This was a chronic case, the exact cause and development of which was unknown. We suggest this phenomenon as a novel symptom. No similar case was found in the literature.
- Manjunatha N, Saddichha S. Delusion of pregnancy associated with antipsychotic induced metabolic syndrome. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2009;10(4 Pt 2):669-670. doi:10.1080/15622970802505800.
- Chaturvedi SK. Delusions of pregnancy in men. Case report and review of the literature. Br J Psychiatry. 1989;154:716-718. doi:10.1192/bjp.154.5.716.
- Shah JN, Qureshi SU, Jawaid A, Schulz PE. Is there evidence for late cognitive decline in chronic schizophrenia? Psychiatr Q. 2012;83(2):127-144. doi:10.1007/s11126-011-9189-8.
- Bitton G, Thibaut F, Lefevre-Lesage I. Delusions of pregnancy in a man. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148(6):811-812. doi:10.1176/ajp.148.6.811.
- Radhakrishnan R, Satheeshkumar G, Chaturvedi SK. Recurrent delusions of pregnancy in a male. Psychopathology. 1999;32(1):1-4. doi:10.1159/000029059.
- Chengappa KNR SS, Brar JS, Keshavan MS. Delusion of pregnancy in men. Br J Psychiatry. 1989;155:422-23. doi:10.1192/bjp.155.3.422b.
- Tarin JJ, Hermenegildo C, Garcia-Perez MA, Cano A. Endocrinology and physiology of pseudocyesis. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2013;11(1):39. doi:10.1186/1477-7827-11-39.
- American Psychiatric Association. 5th ed. Washington: 2013.
- Dutta S, Vankar GK. Delusions of pregnancy - a report of four cases. Indian J Psychiatry. 1996;38(4):254-256.
- Michael A, Joseph A, Pallen A. Delusions of pregnancy. Br J Psychiatry. 1994;164(2):244-246. doi:10.1192/bjp.164.2.244.